Saint Lucia lies at latitude 13 54′ north of the Equator and 60 50′ west. One of the Windward Islands, it is located in the middle of the Eastern Caribbean chain of islands and is approximately 21 miles south of Martinique and 90 miles northwest of Barbados. Castries (population 50,000) is the island’s capital and is situated North-west of the island. The island is 238 sq. miles (616 sq. km), 27 miles long, 14 miles wide with a combination of high mountains, forests, low lying lands and beaches. A central mountain range runs the length of the island, with peaks ranging between 1000 and 3145 feet.
Forests dominate the mountains, while jasmine, scarlet chenille and wild orchids provide splashes of colour to the lush green slopes. The two towering volcanic cones on the southwest coast, Gros Piton (797m) and Petit Piton (750m) are one of the Caribbean’s most famous landmarks. The volcanic origin of the island provides visitors with an opportunity to visit a drive-in volcano and take a dip in the reputedly therapeutic sulphur springs.
The national currency is the Eastern Caribbean and dollar. The exchange rate is tied to the US dollar at a rate of $2.68.
May is the hottest month in Saint Lucia with an average temperature of 28°C (82.4°F) and the coldest is February at 25°C (77°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 8 in December. The best month to swim in the sea is in September when the average sea temperature is 29°C (84.2°F)
For more information visit: www.stlucia.org
Events & Festivals
March: Taste of the World International Food Festival
April-May: Saint Lucia Jazz Music and Arts Festival
June: Fisherman's Feast
December: Atlantic Rally for Cruisers
An application for a Marriage License can be made immediately on arrival. Fees are determined according to the expedition at which you require the license. Same Day licenses are US$200, otherwise the regular fee for a Marriage License is US$125.
Standard documentation is required:
- Passport, Birth certificate & decree absolute (if one of the parties is divorced)
- A death certificate of first spouse (in the case of a widow/widower)
- A deed poll (if the name has been changed)
- A sworn affidavit of consent stamped by a Notary Public if one of the parties is under age 18
- An authenticated translation if required documents are not in English
* We try to keep this info as current as possible so please contact the local tourism office for any changes.
Top 5 Things to See and Do in Saint Lucia
1. Visit Soufriere Volcano in the Sulphur Spring Park
2. Rampage through the Rainforests
3. Visit Latille Waterfalls & Gardens
4. Explore Diamond Botanical Gardens
5. Swimming with horses in Roseau
Start Planning Today!
Find a wedding vendor in Saint Lucia
Get inspired with real destination weddings in the Caribbean
Ready to book? Chat with our preferred destination wedding specialist.